[antlr-interest] visual basic 6 grammar

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at ECA-International.com
Mon Apr 5 06:09:55 PDT 2004

So what you're saying is, if the output of Antlr consists of a mixture
of Antlr code and your GPL code, then the licence on your code (GPL)
trumps that of Antlr? I don't think so!

Okay, so Antlr's licence is GPL-compatible so in practice there is no
problem here, but as I read what you are saying, you are assuming that
you can ignore the licence on the Antlr code just because Antlr has
mixed your code in with it.

Let's give an example. I write a load of code-generator code that goes
into Antlr, and it's NOT GPL compatible (yes, I know, Ter would reject
it ... but let's assume he doesn't). You then run your grammar through
Antlr, and the result is a mixture of your code, my code, and other
peoples' code. Are you saying that your GPL licence trumps my licence? I
think you'll find the courts disagree very strongly.

Cheers,
Wol

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastian Kaliszewski [mailto:sk at z.pl]
Sent: 05 April 2004 13:57
To: antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [antlr-interest] visual basic 6 grammar

 > But when you feed a grammar into Antlr, the stuff that comes out (the
 > lexer/parser) is NOT a translation. Most or all of it is *other*
 > *people's* code, and is licenced the way THEY say, not you.

Not necesarily. You have the freedome to licence your code as you wish,
and
for example to allow using only for making free software. This is not
GPL of
course

 > If your
 > grammar contains code that makes its way into the lexer/parser, then
the
 > lexer/parser has multiple licences

Nope. In case of GPL, lexer/parser must be GPL too. Period.

 > and it is YOUR responsibility to
 > avoid a licence clash.

Not.

This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain private and confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it, disseminate it in any way, or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to inform us of the transmission error or telephone ECA International immediately and delete the e-mail from your information system.

Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 9911 7799, Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582 2333.