[antlr-interest] Intellisense

Mike Hingley computa_mike at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 04:37:26 PDT 2004

Hi - I'm currently thinking about developing a scripting language
for my employer - so I started initially with LEX / YACC.  However I
have found the progress too difficult. I've never really done much
work with this type of technology before, and I'm eager to learn
it's ins and outs - I can think of loads of great uses for ANTLR,
and can't wait to get cracking!!!

As a c# developer I liked the idea of being able to generate the
lexer code through ANTLR.

So anyway - Here's my plan

1. create all of the definitions for the language
2. Create a parser for it (running the scripting language isn;t
required at this stage - it's for an embedded device that already
exists)
3. use the samples I've found for DIY intellisense to provide a nice
IDE by which users can type up their scripts(with predictive
intellisense provided by the parser (or some other mechanism).

Here's what I was wandering :
1. Is if feasable - can I generate the code to parse the text
(either as typed in, or through reading a text file?)

2. Can I look ahead and see what could be typed (to generate the
predictive text required) - or would I have to use the other files
generated?

3. Can i just develop a parser independant of  a compiler?

I've just downloaded the latest version - I'm having problems
running the first cut 'n' paste example.  I'm getting :

ANTLR Parser Generator   Version 2.7.3   1989-2004 jGuru.com
error: Token stream error reading grammar(s):
t.g:17:1: unexpected char: 0x?F
t.g:16:9: rule classDef trapped:
t.g:16:9: unexpected token: '\n'
error: aborting grammar 'L' due to errors
Exiting due to errors.

any help / ideas would be appreciated -

thanks

Mike Hingley