[antlr-interest] Re: literals, identifiers, tokens oh my

ronald.petty at milliman.com ronald.petty at milliman.com
Fri Apr 9 15:14:02 PDT 2004

1.  I thought EOF was already generated for you, but I will add if needed
2.  I believe it
3.  Have been, still am
4.  ok

And for your question,  I am not 100% clear on what your meaning "source
file formats".  I take that as a source file in one form or another vs.
"syntax only" which is just testing a given construct.  If that is true, I
am trying to do the source (which implies a syntax recognizer also
correct?).

Thanks Micheal for the help,
Ron

Quick comments after an even quicker scan of your grammars.

1. Rule "program" needs EOF at the end.
2. You'd normally skip whitespace and newlines in the lexer (this
makes your parser MUCH less complex):
   { $setType(Token.Skip); }
3. Study the Java and TinyBasic/TinyC sample grammars.
4. Rule "type" would normally match ID and any literals that could be
a type like DIM, "string" etc in your grammars.

Question: Are you planning to build a recognizer for VB6 syntax only
or for the various VB6 source file formats?

This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Unless indicated
to the contrary: it does not constitute professional advice or
opinions upon which reliance may be made by the addressee or any
other party, and it should be considered to be a work in progress.