[antlr-interest] Re: Nondeterminism

Mark markl at glyphic.com
Fri Apr 16 08:26:04 PDT 2004

> > Is it normal to receive several (7) messages about nondeterminism
> > but still have the emitted parser/lexer do exactly what you want?
Yes.

> and I can not see *why* this is a warning as the code produced works!!)
It is a warning because the grammar is non-deterministic and so Antlr had to guess at
what you want.  It just turns out that Antlr's method of resolving this is usually, but not
always, right.

I always work to get rid of the warnings, either by use of Anltr's options, or by re-writing
the grammar.  By compiling w/no warnings I assure myself that all the non-determinisms
have been resolved the way I intended.

- Mark