[antlr-interest] Standard library functions: how to??

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Wed Apr 21 16:25:25 PDT 2004

[...]

> By adding, Should I write code for each of the standard library function
> I am planning to provide? There should be a whole load of library
> functions for any language and there should be an easier way of getting
> this done, right?

Look at a complete system such as Sun's Java or GCC.

For example, the Java run-time engines come with the standard Java
libraries in a bunch of .jar files (which are bundles of Java .class
bytecode files) which contain all of the Java-based portions of the
standard libraries. In addition, they come with whatever e.g., native code
(i.e., C/C++) libraries that are needed to interface with the underlying
operating system.  All that the source compiler does in transform the
source code into the bytecode files.

It's interesting to watch the evolution of Java run-time implementations of
the standard libraries started out with a high-percentage of the code
written in "native code" (C/C++) but as they have matured, more and more of
the code is being written in Java itself.

[Of course, for a completely new language, I'm completely eliding any
discussion of the joys of bootstrapping.]

Hope this helps,
		John