[antlr-interest] more lookahead analysis stuff posted to blog

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Apr 23 19:42:46 PDT 2004

Folks,

Been doing lots of thinking and reading.  I think I have my final
algorithm for ANTLR v3 grammar analysis.  It will provide arbitrary
lookahead without the user having to specify even a max k or other
constant.  It will degenerate to LL(k) for k>=0 for fixed k if the
decision is deterministic for some k. :)  Mostly ranting about
algorithm correctness and termination here, but some stuff on
relationship or analogy to LR parsing.

Sriram Srinivasan has proposed LL(*) as the term as the "*" sort of
hints at the regular nature of the arbitrary lookahead and is different
from LL(infinity) which I've seen people use to mean "I backtrack
nonstop" ;)  Thoughts on the terminology?  best I've heard so far.

http://www.antlr.org/blog/antlr3/lookahead.tml

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing