[antlr-interest] Re: 3.0 multiple language support

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 2 14:49:55 PDT 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, "Tiller, Michael \(M.M.\)"
<mtiller at f...> wrote:
> > Yes, this is what we've considered for an IDE: use revision control
> not
> > inheritance to change actions.  You are essentially forking a new
> > branch.  Changes can be pushed forward with diff3 like behavior. :)
>
> Is it April 1st already?  Geez, I guess it isn't.  Well in that case I
> have to assume you are serious so I'd like to cast a vote against using
> version control to handle language-independence.  Apart from the fact

Mike--

Ter's answer dealt with pushing changes "sideways" to cover migrating
grammar modifications across "action variants" (for want of a better
term); we're talking two-dimensional (time and action variants)
version control here, with the primary version under traditional CM.
When Tom was talking versions, he was talking "action variants", not a
set of temporally sequenced modifications.

--Loring