[antlr-interest] Token.SKIP vs. filters

Ingo Maier i.maier at gmx.de
Tue Aug 3 08:10:37 PDT 2004

Hi again,

I have a general question about the use of Token.SKIP in grammars.
Wouldn't it be advisable to do without them? I mean, one could use
filters instead, right? Any tradeoffs there? I am quite new to ANTLR, so
please be patient :)

Maybe someone wants to take an existing grammar but needs some tokens
which are "Token.SKIP"ped. Then he has to modify the grammar (erase
those Token.SKIPs) which I don't regard as good. He has to keep track
with further modifications to the original grammar etc... the well known
problem.

So, what do you think about Token.SKIP vs. filters?

Ingo