[antlr-interest] Re: trying to understand greedy option

xdecoret xdecoret at free.fr
Tue Aug 3 16:08:01 PDT 2004

> But then, I can parse the following file:
>
> value = toto,
> value = "toto",
> value = "toto" + tata + "titi" + tutu,
> value = lastone
>
> But I cannot parse the same input if I remove the last line ?!?!

I can get my parser to parse the desired format if I change it
slightly into:

parseFile
    : fields
    ;
fields
    : field (COMA)?
    | field COMA fields
    ;
field
    : id EQUAL fieldValue
    ;
fieldValue
    : (fieldValuePart PLUS)* fieldValuePart
    ;
fieldValuePart
    : STRING
    | NAME
    ;
id
    : NAME
    ;

But then I cannot place a greedy option to sop the warning.

> Any explanations to help me understand?

and I don't understand what has changed ;-) The rewriting seems
equivalent to me!