[antlr-interest] Re: interactive envionments and non-delayed rule reduction

Richard Clark rd_clark at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 3 20:41:25 PDT 2004

On Aug 3, 2004, at 19:46, Monty Zukowski wrote:

> Then my suggestion will work.  Parse a single line, if it fails wait
> for the next line, put them together and try again.

Um, Monty, are you sure? I've been thinking about this and wondering
how I'd structure it if I did this.

Try this scenario:

(3 + 4
)
*5

The first (3+4 throws a RecognitionException (incomplete expression).
Adding the ) makes it OK. But then *5 throws a recognition expression,
and no number of added lines will fix it.

I wonder if this would work: leave the EOL tokens in and use them to
mark the end of an expression. If you get a recognition expression, and
the token is an EOL, append the next line and retry the whole thing. If
you get a recognition expression and the token is _not_ an EOL, report
and error and flush the input buffer.

What do you think?

  ...Richard