[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0 status: can handle pascal.g now :)

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Thu Aug 5 15:24:24 PDT 2004

Howdy folks,

A bit of success today.  I wanted to get at least one existing grammar
to work thru the new ANTLR 3.0 before school started on 26 August.  I'm
a little ahead of schedule. :)

I almost got java.g working, but had trouble with the syntactic
predicates.  I went to pascal.g instead.  Minimal changes...nothing
significant changed to run thru 3.0.

The good news is that w/o any optimizations of any kind, 3.0 seems to
be faster than 2.7.4's parsers/lexers.  To run 5600 lines of pascal
thru both, yields:

ANTLR 3.0: 5.73s
ANTLR 2.7.4: 7.72s

with interpreted mode only.  With the on-the-fly compiler running, we
get:

ANTLR 3.0: 2.0s
ANTLR 2.7.4: 3.2s

I have not tried to optimize the output in the slightest so hopefully,
3.0's generated recognizers will get much faster.  These numbers make
3.0 about 25% faster or more.  It's hard to tell where it will really
end up.

PS: i'm following the discussion concerning generic actions etc... in
grammars.  I'm thinking hard about it before responding...

L8R,
Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com