[antlr-interest] ANTLR status wrt Visual C++ 6.0

Michael Searles msearles at base16.com
Wed Aug 11 15:43:08 PDT 2004

Can ANTLR be used with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0? (I'm running on Win
2000)

Issues:

I've downloaded from antlr-20040315.tar.gz from

http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~klaren/antlr/

and after creating a project manually as described in the README file,
I can build the DLL, but it whines about not supported on old MSVC's.

#if ( _MSC_VER < 1300 )
# error "DLL Build not supported on old MSVC's"
// Ok it seems to be possible with STLPort in stead of the vanilla
MSVC STL
// implementation. This needs some work though. (and don't try it if
you're
// not that familiar with compilers/building C++ DLL's in windows)
#endif

Does anyone know if it's safe to build the DLL with VC++ 6.0?  If I
comment out
this line, it compiles without errors. Question is, will the resulting
DLL be OK?

Next Issue...

When I build calc.g (using antlr.jar from the antlr-20040315 directory
-- using Java j2sdk1.4.2_04), the C++ code that's generated, when I
then attempt to compile it with VC++ 6.0, these errors occur...

Compiling...
CalcTreeWalker.cpp
CalcTreeWalker.cpp(39) : error C2065: '_retTree' : undeclared
identifier
CalcTreeWalker.cpp(87) : error C2679: binary '=' : no operator defined
which takes a right-hand operand of type 'class antlr::
ASTRefCount<class antlr::AST>' (or there is no acceptable conversion)
CalcParser.cpp
CalcParser.cpp(34) : error C2065: 'returnAST' : undeclared identifier
(many more follow.)

Are these issues something that I'm doing wrong, or is the
Windows/Visual C++ 6.0 environment not supported or unstable at this
time?

I'm just getting started on trying to use ANTLR for a project, and if
this environment is in limbo, I will have to take another approach.

Can anyone offer suggestions?  Is anyone using ANTLR on Windows 2000,
with VC++ 6.0 without issues?

Thanks.

Michael