[antlr-interest] The matter of licensing...

SainTiss saintiss at arklinux.org
Thu Feb 5 02:17:17 PST 2004

Hi,

Ok, I'm not an expert, nor am I an antlr developer, so this might be a very
naive remark, but what if antlr is just re-released under the GPL license?
Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Just my 2 cents....

Kind Regards,

Hans

On Thursday 05 February 2004 11:15, Chris Poirier wrote:
> Hi Serge,
>
> > Can you contribute code and break this statement , is that so easy to
> > break a claim , what did your lawyer(s) argue ?
>
> One cannot assign or reliquish the rights of others.  If someone
> (anyone) contributed code to ANTLR and did not intend for it to be
> placed in the public domain, then it wasn't, regardless of what the core
> development team intended.
>
> Addi's lawyer has a reasonable concern, and what we need is a
> clarification from those "in the know" about what steps were taken to
> ensure that all contributions were also placed in the public domain by
> their respective authors.
>
> > If not , we have better to do than discussing about software rights ,
> > even if the investment returns is delayed .
>
> Unfortunately, it's not that simple.  I'll be using ANTLR primarily for
> open-source projects.  But I can't offer a license on code I do not own
> or for which I do not hold the legal right to do so.  Which means I
> lose the protection of that license (ie. that I cannot be sued for
> damages) when I offer the code for use.
>
> As an example, if a company using my open-source, ANTLR-based software
> is sued by such a contributor (one who contributed to ANTLR without
> placing the code in the public domain or by providing some other
> sufficiently open-source license), that company can turn around and sue
> me for those damages.
>
> Maybe you feel differently, but for me, it's well worth my time to
> verify this stuff now.  And if I can't get those assurances, then I'll
> probably be following Addi's company's lead in not using ANTLR.  And I
> doubt I'll be the only open-source developer to do so.  And that would
> be a real shame.
>
> Later,
>    Chris.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

- --
Ark Linux - Linux for the Masses (http://arklinux.org)

Capitalism:
You don't have any cows. The bank will not lend you money to buy cows,
because you don't have any cows to put up as collateral.

Representative Democracy:
You have two cows. Your neighbors pick someone to tell you who gets the milk.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Hans Schippers
2LIC INF
UA 2003-2004