[antlr-interest] The matter of licensing...

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at ECA-International.com
Thu Feb 5 02:32:38 PST 2004

MAJOR PROBLEMO, I think you might find ...

It's intended that Antlr should be included in commercial products. The
GPL is a no-no here. Large chunks have been contributed by people other
than Ter, and they might be licenced on terms that he is happy with, but
he doesn't have the right to relicence it.

And lastly, Antlr is a code generator. In other words, large chunks of
the stuff it generates would suddenly go GPL. MAJOR headaches for
anybody already doing as Ter wishes, and including it in a commercial
product ...

So no. The GPL would be a disaster here ...

Cheers,
Wol

-----Original Message-----
From: SainTiss [mailto:saintiss at arklinux.org]
Sent: 05 February 2004 10:17
To: antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [antlr-interest] The matter of licensing...

This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain private and confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it, disseminate it in any way, or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to inform us of the transmission error or telephone ECA International immediately and delete the e-mail from your information system.

Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 9911 7799, Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582 2333.

Hi,

Ok, I'm not an expert, nor am I an antlr developer, so this might be a
very
naive remark, but what if antlr is just re-released under the GPL
license?
Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Just my 2 cents....

Kind Regards,

Hans

On Thursday 05 February 2004 11:15, Chris Poirier wrote:
> Hi Serge,
>
> > Can you contribute code and break this statement , is that so easy
> > break a claim , what did your lawyer(s) argue ?
>
> One cannot assign or reliquish the rights of others.  If someone
> (anyone) contributed code to ANTLR and did not intend for it to be
> placed in the public domain, then it wasn't, regardless of what the
core
> development team intended.
>
> Addi's lawyer has a reasonable concern, and what we need is a
> clarification from those "in the know" about what steps were taken to
> ensure that all contributions were also placed in the public domain by
> their respective authors.
>
> > If not , we have better to do than discussing about software rights
,
> > even if the investment returns is delayed .
>
> Unfortunately, it's not that simple.  I'll be using ANTLR primarily
for
> open-source projects.  But I can't offer a license on code I do not
own
> or for which I do not hold the legal right to do so.  Which means I
> lose the protection of that license (ie. that I cannot be sued for
> damages) when I offer the code for use.
>
> As an example, if a company using my open-source, ANTLR-based software
> is sued by such a contributor (one who contributed to ANTLR without
> placing the code in the public domain or by providing some other
> sufficiently open-source license), that company can turn around and
sue
> me for those damages.
>
> Maybe you feel differently, but for me, it's well worth my time to
> verify this stuff now.  And if I can't get those assurances, then I'll
> probably be following Addi's company's lead in not using ANTLR.  And I
> doubt I'll be the only open-source developer to do so.  And that would
> be a real shame.
>
> Later,
>    Chris.
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

- --
Ark Linux - Linux for the Masses (http://arklinux.org)

Capitalism:
You don't have any cows. The bank will not lend you money to buy cows,
because you don't have any cows to put up as collateral.

Representative Democracy:
You have two cows. Your neighbors pick someone to tell you who gets the
milk.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Hans Schippers
2LIC INF
UA 2003-2004