[antlr-interest] The matter of licensing...

Chris Poirier cpoirier at dreaming.org
Thu Feb 5 02:38:47 PST 2004

Hi Hans,

> Ok, I'm not an expert, nor am I an antlr developer, so this might be a very
> naive remark, but what if antlr is just re-released under the GPL license?
> Wouldn't that solve the problem?

It's not a problem of the license included with the distribution.
There is nothing wrong (from an open-source perspective) about placing
ANTLR in the public domain.  (And GPL would certainly NOT help Addi with
his problem -- quite the contrary.)

The question Addi's lawyers have raised is simply this: have all
contributors to ANTLR placed their contributions in the public domain,
also?

In the case of licensed software, this is typically handled by having
contributors assign copyright to the principle owner of the product, who
then offers the open-source license.  In the case of public domain, it's
a little harder, as there is no owner.  But all that is needed is a
statement by each author placing eir contributions in the public domain.
A file in the distribution containing these statements would probably be
sufficient.

Later,
   Chris.