[antlr-interest] licensing stuff

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Thu Feb 5 15:21:00 PST 2004

On Feb 5, 2004, at 1:54 PM, Addi Jamshidi wrote:
> From my understanding (and of course I maybe wrong), but I believe our
> corporate lawyers have offered putting in place a licensing agreement
> that is genuinely meant to be for Open Source (without charging
> anything from the ANTLR community). Not sure what the outcome of it
> has been or whether it has been accepted. But regardless, ANTLR does
> not need to hire lawyers, all they need to do is to ask one of the
> comapnie's that is using (or wanted to use) the ANTLR runtime library
> to provide them with the proper licensing agreement and advice (after
> all it would be in the company's own interest).
>
> FYI: Regretfully as it stands and as of today we have been told that
> the decision NOT to use ANTLR is final since the current licensing
> agreement leaves the corporation with potential law suits and
> liabilities in the future, and therefore we have to re-architect our
> product using other alternatives.

What if I affirm that no one with any significant contributions has
asked to hold on to rights to their portions?  Certainly if you are
using Java output, you are covered as major contributions are generally
the C++ and C# code generators.

Ter
Co-founder, http://www.jguru.com
Co-founder, http://www.knowspam.net enjoy email again!