[antlr-interest] ANTLR 2.7.3 building errors

Robert Colquhoun rjc at trump.net.au
Mon Feb 9 13:34:26 PST 2004

At 04:39 AM 10/02/2004, Ric Klaren wrote:
>It's probably due to me building my snapshots most of the time with jikes.
>This probably means you'd need at least java 1.3 to run the class files per
>default. I recently noticed some trouble with jikes compiled stuff and
>older java versions.

For both sun javac and jikes you can use the target flag to set this ie for
1.1 compatibility
         javac -target 1.1 File.java
         jikes -target 1.1 File.java

To get antlr to build under 2.7.2 i always had to run through this procedure:

         cd antlr-2.7.2
         find antlr -name '*.class' -exec rm {} \;
         javac -classpath . antlr/build/*.java
         javac -classpath . antlr/J*.java
         java -classpath . antlr.build.Tool build
         java -classpath . antlr.build.Tool jar

There are also interesting bootstrapping problems you end up with a
different result i think depending on what antlr.jar is sitting in the
build directory when you start.

  - Robert