[antlr-interest] FEATURE REQUEST: std::stream -- remove

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Feb 14 23:23:08 PST 2004

Hi Terr,
Hi Rick,

I want ask you about one step for ANTLR 3.0

Rick, you are going to develop now new C++ sources as I know.

So I dream, that ANTLR C++ runtime sources of Lexer / Parser
depend NOT on std::streams, but on some C++ interface class of stream

    I_Istream
    I_OStream

And ANTLR distribution have include implementation of these interfaces for
STD::stream.

1) STD::streams will be encapsulated into this .cpp file only

2) we will get ability to use other implementations of streams if we need.

For example, in our Valentina DBMS we have own such stream interfaces,
And we have a lots of implementations of them
    Stream on STD file
    Stream on our own file class
    Stream on socket
    Stream on Cached Files.

As you know DBMS have caching, and we can use files via our own caching.
But because ANTLR depend on std::stream we cannot use caching files with it.
This put down performance.

So, please consider this feature.

I believe using of interfaces is flexible and good OO design feature.

--
Best regards,
e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com
web: http://www.paradigmasoft.com