[antlr-interest] Problems building 2.7.2

Simon Kellett simon_kellett at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 05:11:32 PST 2004

Hi,

I have had problems building this version. (Java run-time I got
working, but I am building so as to get the C++ run-time library.)

I also notice that 2.7.3 is coming soon and wondered if the problems I
found have been fixed, or could possibly be fixed, for that release !!
(I could not see a bug-traking DB anywhere).

1) The homepage says to use Java 1.1 or better: I could not get the
Java run-time to run with our default 1.1.3 version as utils.HashSet
is missing. From what I can see on the web this only arrived in Java
1.2. So I am using another machine with Java 1.3 and ANTLR runs OK.
Perhaps the docs/homepage should be updated ?

2) So now to building: I got:
make
java -cp /home/skellett/local/src/antlr-2.7.2/antlrall.jar antlr.Tool
  antlr.g
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: antlr/Tool
make[1]: *** [.antlr.g] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/skellett/local/s
rc/antlr-2.7.2/antlr'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2

The problem is that antlrall.jar does not exist anywhere. After
googling I followed some advice on
http://homepage.mac.com/gerard_iglesias/iblog/ and copied antlr.jar to
 antlrall.jar to get me going. Is this OK ?

3) As I had messed around a lot I started with a new install from the
.tar, did a ./configure, copied the .jar file and make and it went OK.
Now I get:
make install
Installing jar files into /home/skellett/local/share/antlr-2.7.2
/bin/sh: ../scripts/install-sh: not found
/bin/sh: ../scripts/install-sh: not found
/bin/sh: ../scripts/install-sh: not found
make: *** [install] Error 1

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Simon Kellett