[antlr-interest] Tedious newbie lexer question re keywords and identifiers - antlr 2.7.2

loanshark992001 mark.buckle at intechsolutions.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 08:43:47 PST 2004

I have 2 problems,

1. I need to recognise lots of keywords with common prefixes ( k=10
has silenced the warnings coming from that one ), I also need to
treat most other things as identifiers, although I'm using
testLiterals=true, I'm still getting warnings about lexical non-
determinism (simple cut-down example follows) :-

PLSQL.g: warning:lexical nondeterminism between rules ALL and
IDENTIFIER upon
PLSQL.g:     k==1:'a'
PLSQL.g:     k==2:'l'

2. If I take the generated parser/lexer and run it, I get
things like ALLWORDS being treated as 2 tokens, ALL and IDENTIFIER
(value WORDS) instead of one token of type IDENTIFIER and value
ALLWORDS, which is what I want.  I'm also getting misbehaviour from
antlr which seems to give up parsing the input correctly.

I have a reasonable degree of expertise in lex and yacc and was
hoping antlr would eventually seem easier to use than those 2 tools.
Please say it is !