[antlr-interest] Lexer for comments

Uli Bubenheimer yahoogroups.10.ulibube at spamgourmet.com
Tue Feb 24 09:20:09 PST 2004

The documentation for ANTLR gives a variant of the following as an
example for parsing C-style multi-line comments:

class L extends Lexer;
options {k = 2;}
Comment : "/*" ( options { greedy = false; } : . )* "*/" ;

I have a specification for a lexer where everything except the
multi-line comment can be parsed with k == 1 lookahead. I assume that
setting k = 2 will slow down parsing for the rest of my grammar. So I
was wondering whether the following might work. Parsing comments may
be a bit slower now, but I'm thinking as long as there are few
comments in my source I would be faster overall, due to k == 1.

class ADLLexer extends Lexer;
options {k = 1;}

Are there other alternatives?

Uli