[antlr-interest] Confusion with protected lexer rules

Jason jasonriz at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 12:18:30 PST 2004

Hello,

The following is a small excerpt of my grammar:

//BEGIN EXCERPT
protected REG_ID: ALPHA_CHAR ( ALPHA_CHAR | DIGIT )* {
System.out.println("Jason REG_ID"); }
  ;
protected ALPHA_CHAR: ('a'..'z' | 'A'..'Z') {
System.out.println("Jason ALPHA_CHAR"); }
  ;
protected DIGIT: ('0'..'9') {
System.out.println("Jason DIGIT"); }
  ;
protected ID: REG_ID { System.out.println("Jason:
ID"); }
//END EXCERPT

None of these rules are firing.  If I remove the
'protected' keyword from REG_ID everything behaves as
I'd expect but then of course a token gets returned to
the Parser which I don't want.  So, the is there any
way I can get the lexer to recognize these rules
without ever sending a token to the parser?  If push
comes to shove I can ignore the token in the parser
but I'd rather keep the solution confined to the
lexer.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may
have.

-jason