[antlr-interest] Re: anybody have opinions on blogging systems written in Java?

brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Sat Feb 28 16:23:16 PST 2004

Quoting Terence Parr <parrt at cs.usfca.edu>:

> > Long version:
> >
> > Forums:  I hate web-based forums (the way Jive is normally used) so I
> > hope that
> > you will replace yahoogroups with a mailing list. At the very least,
> > allow us to
> > recieve messages in my email, allow us to post messages via email, and
> > allow us
> > to reply to messages with our email programs' "reply" command.
>
> There will always be an email gateway.  What don't you like about
> forums?  Now's the time to figure out what we want :)

You have to log in to post (and sometimes to read, if you want proper "I've
already read this" tracking), and I prefer a "push" interface (email is sent to
me) to a "pull" interface (I check a website to see if somebody posted something
new).

> >  Why would you want antlr.org to host blogs that aren't
> > ANTLR-specific? There are so many blogging hosts out there right now,
> > what is the advantage to our "ANTLR community" to adding another one at
> > antlr.org?
>
> None.  I don't plan on allowing any blogs other than mine.  Perhaps if
> Monty wants one for somethign purely antlr related.

I see, it wasn't clear in the original message that this is what you meant.

> > Personally, I'd rather see a read-only ANTLR 3 source code repository
> > (perforce, subversion, or cvs).
>
> You shall have it, sir!  The thing is though that I'll not release it
> publicly until it's semi mature.  It's in my "playground" now and not
> yet in my formal code repository.  The code is too damn readable also
> ;)  I'd hate for somebody to scoop me by building ANTLR 3 before I did
> ;)

Understandable. I was thinking to write a ANTLR code generator for a functional
language (ML or Nice) and so I wanted to see the "playground" so I can see what
sort of project it would be.

- Brian