[antlr-interest] Re: alternative prediction mechanism for 3.0

antlrbrian brian-l-smith at uiowa.edu
Sun Jul 4 12:46:37 PDT 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt at c...> wrote:
> Oh, right...yeah, I rejected that idea because you couldn't step thru
> the DFAs that way. :(  (goto in bytecode won't go back to source) :(

That was #1 and #2 on my list:

1. The DFA textual representation will be easier to read than
   generated Java code.
2. Using the new Java debugging API's (JSR 45), the classfiles
   can be generated in such a way that debuggers can trace
   through the DFA's textual representation directly.

In other words, when you are single-stepping through code in the
debugger, and you get into the DFA part, the debugger would actually
open up the files that contain the DFA "source code" (textual
representation), and single-step through the actual DFA. Presumably,
the DFA's textual representation would be much easier to read than
generated Java source code.

The ANTLR Tool would generate both the textual representation (for the
debugger to reference) and the classfiles (that contain the references
to the textual representation) at compile time.

- Brian