[antlr-interest] Can't create AST Node?

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Jul 16 13:05:30 PDT 2004

On Jul 16, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Tiller, Michael (M.M.) wrote:

>> From: Monty Zukowski [mailto:monty at codetransform.com]
>> Subject: Re: [antlr-interest] Can't create AST Node?
>>
>>> One last comment, I suspect that it might be useful to provide
>>> automatic
>>> "visitor generation" for people where visitors seem more attractive
>>> (ala
>>> SableCC?).
>>
>> Seems like that would be easy enough to add.
>
> Specifically, you might want to take a look at Chapter 6 of this:
>
> http://sablecc.org/downloads/thesis.pdf
>
> I found it quite interesting and found myself craving such features
> (although what do I know).

Hi Mike,

SableCC is nice.  A visitor is sometimes precisely what you want, but
more often you want to apply grammatical structure (i.e., context)
rather than just say 'when I'm in this node, print this value'.  From
my skim I couldn't see how it was different.  Can you help me out?  Is
it building a visitor that is sensitive to the structure you create in
the parser?  Can I use this context when visiting or is it still a
node-centric algorithm?

Thanks,
Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com