[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3.0 question about common actions

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 29 11:57:30 PDT 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt at c...> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2004, at 6:22 PM, thrutchy wrote:
>
> > --- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt at c...>
wrote:

> >> That is called JavaCC :)
> >
> > You got my hopes up!  It looks like with JavaCC you specify the
> > grammar in something that looks like Java, but it is clearly not.  I
> > was wanting a set of classes to allow you to easily specify the
> > grammar in Java (or C++, C#, etc).  From what I saw, I like ANTLR
more.

If you didn't like that, take a look at BOOST for C++ (shudder).

>>From my perspective, a big advantage of EBNF specification is that it
is _not_ like a conventional language.  Grammars describe structure,
not processing sequence, and the difference in syntax makes shifting
mental gears easier.

> Hooray!
>
> Yep, i'm hoping that the new output code will be easier to read.  It
> seems so already.  Definitely want a grammar, but we need to make the
> output very understandable.  Heh, at least it's code...most systems
> generate tables. :)  That's my "secret sauce" that many tools don't
> seem to get ;)

Among other things.  Support for logical action placement is a big win
over LR tools.  Tree grammars and multiple target languages are also a
key strength.

--Loring