[antlr-interest] Constructing trees and building forests...

Tiller, Michael (M.M.) mtiller at ford.com
Thu Jul 29 06:33:04 PDT 2004

> From: iank at bearcave.com [mailto:iank at bearcave.com]
> Subject: [antlr-interest] Constructing trees and building forests...
>

>   Ter,
>
>   Thanks for the reply.
>
>   I know that I'm in a minority here, but to me the power of ANTLR is
>   mainly in parser generation, not tree construction.  My views are
>   biased by the fact that most of the parsers I've worked on are for
>   languages like C, Fortran 90, Verilog or VHDL.  In my opinion when
>   you are constructing trees for complex languages, you want to create
>   you own trees.  So I have been largely uninterested in ANTLR's
>   automatic tree construction.

I just wanted to chime in to say that while we may be in the minority,
my needs tend to be similar to yours.  I've resorted recently to
building my own trees simply because I prefer (for some perverse reason
I guess) to use heterogenous, application specific trees.  It is
interesting that you mention VHDL because the language I'm trying to
deal with is somewhat similar in nature (Modelica,
http://www.modelica.org).

I wonder what makes us different?  I always thought that it was because
I didn't know how to use ANTLR properly but perhaps it really does have
to do with the kind of tasks we are interested in (although it is still
quite possible that you have a legitimate need to do things this way and
I'm still just being dumb. :-).

--
Mike