[antlr-interest] Re: ANTLR 3.0 question about common actions

thrutchy eric_mahurin at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 16:39:01 PDT 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt at c...> wrote:
> Yep, i'm hoping that the new output code will be easier to read.  It
> seems so already.  Definitely want a grammar, but we need to make the
> output very understandable.  Heh, at least it's code...most systems
> generate tables. :)  That's my "secret sauce" that many tools don't
> seem to get ;)

I'm glad to hear this.  Just to let you know one perspective of the
reasons for choosing antlr over other, here are my reasons:

- lexer and parser have almost identical grammars.  I wanted to get up
and running quickly
- understandable generated code - extremely useful for debug and
getting around issues
- supported several target languages I was interested in

One of the things that frustrates me the most is that antlr only uses
the linear lookahead scheme, when others could be used sometimes to
resolve ambiguities.  I'm also glad to here that ANTLR 3 is going to
be smart enough to do infinite lookahead to resolve ambiguities when
necessary.

Eric