[antlr-interest] Re: Software Transformation Systems Workshop

atripp54321 atripp at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 08:47:05 PDT 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Monty Zukowski <monty at c...> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> 	I'm writing a position paper for this conference about real-world
> translation projects.  I get lots of inquiries about doing such
> projects, so I've learned a bit about what people think they can and
> can't do, etc.  But I could use more tales too, so---
>
> Anyone do a real translator with ANTLR out there?
>
> Anyone consider it but decided against it?

I've written a C-to-Java translator called "Jazillian".
It will be going live "any day now".
See http://www.jazillian.com

No C++ yet, just C.

I initially tried AST-to-AST transformation, but found it
too cumbersome. I now use your C grammar for lexing, but
not parsing (although I do use it for some expression parsing).
The choice here was a big design decision between walking
a C AST and generating a Java AST from it vs. doing a high-level
pattern-matching scheme. You can find more details on my website.

I may try to write up more details on my approach, maybe
even submit it to this conference. Not a day goes by that
I don't wonder which approach is better.

Andy