[antlr-interest] alternative prediction mechanism for 3.0

Monty Zukowski monty at codetransform.com
Sun Jun 13 20:57:52 PDT 2004

> My main question revolves around readability. One of the big draws of
> ANTLR is its readability and I don't want to screw that up. One could
> argue that just the notion of a DFA is less readable, but from my own
> experience the key is being able to watch the parser route control
> flow in the debugger--not necessarily verifying the prediction
> expressions. In fact, the expressions are often references to sets
> that are totally opaque to the programmer.

I tend to agree, though I also routinely turn the bitsets off during
development so that I can see what the lookahead decisions are.  If I
could see a comment that tells me exactly what the DFA is doing there
then I'd be happy.

Monty Zukowski

ANTLR & Java Consultant -- http://www.codetransform.com
ANSI C/GCC transformation toolkit --