[antlr-interest] Re: StringTemplate issue

birmanstefan birmanstefan at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 11:13:02 PDT 2004

    Let's say you jar "org/antlr/codegen", including also the
directory "org/antlr/codegen/templates" with all the templates
(preserving the dir structure as it is on your harddisk). Then it
issues messages like: "Can't load ... as resource" and "Can't load
template...". It seems that it doesn't find the templates using
classLoader stuff. You may try it on your application.
   I post "test4tp.jar", including an ant build script, in order to
reproduce the case.

Cheers,
      Stefan.

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt at c...>
wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2004, at 3:03 AM, birmanstefan wrote:
>
> > Hello Ter,
> >
> >     I used a jarred app, which includes a library of templates,
and
> > run in a "Can't load template" error. It seems that it tries to
load
> > template from an illegal path. I put a testcase in group's files
> > directory called test4tp.jar (includes all you need to reproduce
the
> > issue).
> >
> >     The fix was to create a group without a root directory and
include
> > all the templates in the root of the jar. The bad thing is that it
> > doesn't preserve the hierarchy in jar file and have to modify in
> > original code (=> two versions : for jarred and un-jarred app).
> >
> >     I took a look in the  StringTemplateGroup.loadTemplate() and
saw
> > that it uses some classLoader stuff to load the template.
Enlarging
> > this mechanism in order to be able to load templates from dir
> > structure in a jar file (JAR URL) should fix the issue. I'm not
very
> > familiar with this mechanism, so I must ask : am I looking in the
> > wrong direction?
>
> Hmm...for the code generator I'm working on now, I use "fully
> qualified" template names like "org/antlr/codegen/templates/foo"
which
> it loads from the classpath.  I do this rather than paths under a
> rootDir as I don't know where the app will be unjar'd or used.  Are
you
> saying that Java's jar mechanism doesn't duplicate this when the
dir
is