[antlr-interest] unicode strings using supplemental char range

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Sat Jun 26 02:38:55 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 09:39:19PM -0400, Case, Scott A wrote:
> FYI - I am a very happy user of Antlr but I am feeling concerned about the
> future Unicode support in C++ parsers created from Antlr 3.  We are
> currently looking to internationalize a number of our components.  Some of
> those are using support libraries which use Antlr 2.6.1, 2.7.1 & Flex/Bison
> which is looking a bit messy right now.  I am really hoping that Antlr 3
> can "save the day" for me like Antlr 2 did in the past.

For unicode and C++ I'll definitely be looking at ICU (actually have been
looking at it already) Come to think of it hearing the latest discussions
it might definitely be an idea for the java side too. At least they already
figured out the icky bits for several java versions, so maybe it's an idea
to not reinvent stuff (although I hate the extra dependency)

For C++ we'll probably see some templates so ICU or std:string can be
plugged in, and/or maybe some lightweight own thing that can deal with some
simpler uses. (like just UTF8/16)

For ANTLR3 I'll probably also try to drop support for some older compilers.
E.g. ones not supporting template members and namespaces.

Cheers,

Ric
    ---- Ric Klaren ----- j.klaren at utwente.nl ----- +31 53 4893755  ----
 Why don't we just invite them to dinner and massacre them all when they're
  drunk? You heard the man. There's seven hundred thousand of them. Ah? ..
           So it'd have to be something simple with pasta, then.
                 From: Interesting Times by Terry Pratchet