[antlr-interest] Re: unicode strings using supplemental char range

Jason jasonriz at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 26 16:56:32 PDT 2004

--- Terence Parr <parrt at cs.usfca.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2004, at 1:16 PM, lgcraymer wrote:
>
> > Ter--
> >
> > I have to say that I am not a fan of the "cave
> man" approach.  ANTLR
> > 2.x is available for backwards compatibility;
> there is no point in not
> > requiring 1.4 or maybe even 1.5 and figure out a
> clean way to
> > implement the ANTLR runtime with generics.  I've
> discovered that
> > unnecessarily reinventing the wheel is usually a
> waste of effort, and
> > focusing on backwards compatibility guarantees
> that you do a lot of
> > wheel reinvention.  Make it easy on yourself!
>
> Understood, but just from a practical point of view,
> I won't be able to
> code in 1.5 for a long time ;)  (til after I'm
> hoping to finish
> probably). :(
>
> You have a point about 2.x being available for lower
> versions of Java.
> Using the NIO in 1.4 would be nice to speed up the
> lexers chewing on
> char streams...  1.5 is pretty much out of the
> picture though I'm
> guessing. :(

There's definitely no point in supporting the pre
Java2 stuff, but a significant portion of the
installed java base still runs 1.2.x (which of course
includes support for the Java2 Collections).  In my
opinion there should be a compelling reason not to
support 1.2 or it doesn't make sense.  Support for the
unicode surrogate pairs might arguably be compelling
enough but requiring jdk1.5 would severely limit the
pool of potential users for at least the next two or
three years.

-jason