[antlr-interest] anybody have opinions on blogging systems written in Java?

Ric Klaren klaren at cs.utwente.nl
Mon Mar 1 02:41:01 PST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 02:51:23PM -0800, Terence Parr wrote:
> about adding forums to antlr.org (thus avoiding nasty
> yahoogroups) and blogging.  I suspect that blogging is merely a variant
> of forums, but have looked at these bloggers written in java:

Blogging? Hmmm seems useless to me unless I'm using another definition of
it (basically I only know those as personal pages with odds bits of info
whatever the author wants)

A wiki seems more usefull to me (than a blog) or normal (no offence for the
jguru forums) forum software. A tried phpbb or FUDforum supplies a lot more
and easier functionality (they also install in 5-10 mins if you have a PHP
capable webserver).

Also a good search function would be nice the yahoogroups search seems to
have gotten close to useless over the years.

> http://snipsnap.org/

The wiki part of this one I like.

> http://blojsom.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.rollerweblogger.org/page/project

I don't think these are very usefull to us. Looking at the feature list
their just blogging systems e.g. useless.

> Oh and http://www.jivesoftware.com  would be the forum system.

Would probably require the professional or the enterprise versions for all
the bells and whistles. Then you look at the price.. think about it again..
and download some free forum software that has it all for free....
(Although the software itself looks quite functional after some playing
around)

I'm not sure wether it's a good idea to only have a wiki or only have a
forum. To have both is probably a good idea. Especially forum software that
does not scare a person away (like the ANTLR forums at jguru did with me).
Personally I know I can live with PHPbb or FUDforum like forums, they have
good support for viewing new messages since a last visit, have good
moderation support (e.g. move/copy/delete threads, edit posts and other
things that can help in massaging posts in faq like things), you can sticky
posts, lock stuff etc. Also good support for adding/changing moderators for
board sections etc. Also private messages are supported. I don't think they
have a full email gateway but that's something I can forgo. At least
fudforum has some gateway support but I've never worked with it.

I like FUD forum (fud.prohost.org) pretty much since it's very light in
graphics and seems to be better architected than PHPbb.

The wiki I'd see as the place to keep the documentation of ANTLR, together
with examples etc.

Well that's my 2cts anyway ;)

Cheers,

Ric