[antlr-interest] Re: stuff I don't like about ANTLR 2.x

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at ECA-International.com
Tue Mar 9 03:49:06 PST 2004

Two comments about licencing ...

Why not look at one of the biggest Open Source projects out there?
namely linux <vbg/>

And what's wrong with the *L*GPL? I can't tell Ter what to do with his
stuff, but as a small-time programmer, it would be my licence of choice.
And I don't see why my employers can't take advantage of it if they
wish.

Cheers,
Wol

-----Original Message-----
From: cj_daly [mailto:cj_daly at yahoo.com]
Sent: 08 March 2004 20:52
To: antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [antlr-interest] Re: stuff I don't like about ANTLR 2.x

Here are a few:

0) (I thought of this last but I'm adding it at the beginning because
it's so important to me!).  Those of us wanting to use Antlr within a
corporate environment have to do something to make the laywers happy.
 I think the singlemost important thing you can do here is to have a
mechanism for registering contributers.  Each contributer should be
reachable (email is fine but the more contact info you have the
better) and should have made some kind of affirmation that they agree
with the license (this affirmation could be an email that you print
and save, but a signed form faxed or snail-mailed would be even better).

I suggest looking at some of the bigger open source projects like
Mozilla or Eclipse or Apache to see what mechanisms and forms they use.

Laywers would be even happier if the contributers all assign their
copyrights to one person (i.e. Terence) or entity (like U of S.F.) but
I don't think this is necessary as long as all of the contributers are
contactable (and there aren't so many that it becomes extremely
difficult to contact them all).

Beyond that, you mentioned before that you are considering BSD as the
license.  That would work for me.  GPL or LGPL would totally disallow
me from using Antlr.  CPL (the license Eclipse uses) would be ideal
for me but BSD is very doable.

This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain private and confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it, disseminate it in any way, or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to inform us of the transmission error or telephone ECA International immediately and delete the e-mail from your information system.

Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 9911 7799, Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582 2333.