[antlr-interest] nesting rules, getting rule text

mzukowski at yci.com mzukowski at yci.com
Tue Mar 9 10:51:25 PST 2004

The best thing I can think of for you can do is to keep track of your
questions, preferably in one place so when someone sits down to write the
O'Reilly book we'll have a good list to start from.

Perhaps you have archived your emails?  I'm not ready to try to organize all
that right now, but someday one of us will be.  When Terence, Loring and I
got together about ANTLR 3 the two questions were "What do people want to
do?" and "How can we best make it easy to use?"--which to me includes
documentation, explanation, FAQs, all that stuff.

Myself, I tend to answer email questions, but the really big questions like
what should my tree look like or how to optimize are things I can't answer
with much detail in half an hour and currently I don't have the time to
write those kinds of guides.

Yeah, the other question was "Why don't people get this?"  Tree building,
tree parsing, left factoring, we're looking for the stumbling blocks but we
don't see them because we already "Get it."

When I sit down to write the best thing I could have in front of me would be
a diary of "aha"s.  What did you learn, what did you think before you
learned it?  How could it be introduced better for your learning style?

I understand you have frustrations, getting more specific details really
would help us target our efforts.

Monty