[antlr-interest] Re: updated "antlr 2 bashing list"

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at ECA-International.com
Wed Mar 10 04:05:44 PST 2004

And no I am not suggesting we add PL/1 support ...

Exceptions are not handled consistently across languages. I think the
PL/1 mechanism is quite good (not that I've ever used PL/1 much), and
when a handler is invoked you basically get three choices - (1) fix the
problem and go back where you came from or (2) abort the program or (3)
"continue to signal" ie rethrow the exception and see if there's another
handler that can cope. That doesn't sound like Java-style to me at
all...

So really, what I'm saying, is that using exceptions is a bad idea. It's
bad enough restricting yourself to languages that support exceptions,
but you're restricting yourself to languages that support your kind of
exceptions. I'm a C / DATABASIC programmer by trade, neither of which
are OO languages, and I don't want to try for a paradigm shift only to
discover that my version of the new paradigm isn't supported :-)

Cheers,
Wol