[antlr-interest] My antlr 2 bashing list

J. Stephen Riley Silber jsrs701 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 11:11:41 PST 2004

(Er, gimme a sec whilst I put on my bullet-proof jacket here...)

BETTER MSVC INTEGRATION SUPPORT.  *ducks the rocks*  I know we all
hate M$, and I'm no exception.  But for the love of god, there's a
LOT of development going on in MSVC these days, and ignoring the poor
saps (like me) who have to use it is not so nice.  Basically, we need
for ANTLR to be truly platform agnostic, not just *nix agnostic.

To whit:
* NMAKE-compatible makefiles for the C++ libs.  If we can cobble up
NMAKE makefiles, then we're cool with Ric--we're purely command-
line.  I got no problem with that, since if you can make an NMAKE
file, you can make a GUI project for it.

* Has anyone mentioned smoke testing of builds yet?  If that's
already happening, let's get MSVC as a test target for the C++ libs.

* A warning-free build for the C++ libs, for all major targets.  A
Windows build is still littered with warnings all over the place.

* Let's get multiple error reporting formats.  Make them command-line
selectable.  MSVC mandates a specific format for error output from
external commands in order to integrate them fully into the
environment (eg. being able to double-click an ANTLR error in the
output window and it taking you to the offending line in your grammar
file).

I hope I haven't repeated anoyone else's thoughts here.

Steve