[antlr-interest] Re: stuff I don't like about ANTLR 2.x

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Fri Mar 12 09:52:03 PST 2004

>>>>> "edcjones" == edcjones  <edcjones at yahoo.com> writes:
[...]

> Rewrite ANTRL in C or C++.

Have fun doing that yourself.  :-( :-)

Really, that's just plain nuts.

> Output parsers written in C or Python.

++

> Print trees in an easy to look at form.

What do you mean by that?

You might check out Ter's pstree or whatever he called it which created
fairly nice tree diagrams in Postscript.

> Is is necessary for the user to see as much java as he now has to?

What do you mean by that?

[...]

> A grammar is a highly terse description of a highly recursive stucture
> with little internal documentation and with bits of java in it like
> prions in a brain. Are there better ways to write down a grammar?

Basically, it comes down to... What tradeoffs matter to you?

[...]

> Non-interactive debugger. Ideally, there would be an interactive debugger
> where you see the tokens as they are fed to the parser and also see the
> changes that are made in tha AST.

Yeah, I'm hoping that Antlr3 will make hooking in various kinds of code
generation and run-time instrumentation much cleaner.

Take care,
	John