[antlr-interest] added a lot of lookahead computation notes

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Mar 12 18:16:25 PST 2004

Folks, if you're following my thoughts for ANTLR 3 lookahead
computation and usage during parse-time, you will find my recent entry
interesting:

http://www.antlr.org/blog/antlr3/lookahead.tml

I think I have a nice way to do generalized LL lookahead (k=1, k>1,
infinite k) including hoisting of predicates, all in the guise of a
specialized  NFA->DFA conversion.  In fact, I'm a little frightened I
have rendered my dissertation old news! ;)  'Course that *was* 13 years
ago (heavy sigh) ;)

The reason that I am using all of my cpu time thinking about how to
view lookahead computation etc... is that I smell a vast simplification
of the process (that will also appeal to theory-wienies).  The simpler
the perspective, the simpler the algorithm, and hopefully the more
transparent the ANTLR code will be.  One of my primary goals is
"obvious code" for ANTLR 3.0.

Anyway, I've tried to write down my current understanding of the
issues...feel free to comment or whatever (yes, I know there are some
typos in there) :)  I really think I've latched onto something
significant here.

Ahhhhhh....I'm never happier than when I'm working on a graph algorithm
:) :D

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing