[antlr-interest] Re: stuff I don't like about ANTLR 2.x

lgcraymer lgc at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Mar 14 13:59:21 PST 2004

--- In antlr-interest at yahoogroups.com, Terence Parr <parrt at c...> wrote:
> [Side note from an anti-C++ bigot: I can't believe people don't
> complain about the complete lack of portability of C++.  Never once
> have I heard people say that the Java code won't compile somewhere
> (course the build process is a different story perhaps<wink>).  It is
> truly astounding that nearly 20 years after the first lecture I heard
> on C++, we still don't have a portable language.  Stroustroup (SP?) is
> coming to USF to speak soon...I'll try to leave my heavier projectiles
> at home.] ;) :D  Just my opinion folks ;)

Ter--

You just don't understand (said in a tone of absolute innocence).  C++
_was_ a portable language--and then they "standardized" it.  The
problem is that the standards committee re-invented the
language--standard C++ depends heavily on templates--rather than
standardizing and tweaking common practice.

But, "don't worry, be happy".  Java generics are coming!  I sure hope
that Sun has learned from the C++ lessons and devised some sort of
reflection support so that debuggers behave decently.

--Loring