[antlr-interest] Re: Stuff I don't like about ANTLR 2.x

oliver_kellogg oliver_kellogg at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 13:08:27 PST 2004

(Sorry if you get this twice - resending because I
 didn't see my orignial reply on antlr-interest)

Terence Parr wrote:
> Ack...yeah, Java's contract for exceptions means you cannot
generate
> the try/catch if you have nothing to match.  Hm....I guess we could
> detect that.

Sounds like a winner :-)

> Is it a pain to avoid these just because you have a lot or is there
> semantics reason?

In ada.g, take a look at the rules decl_common and type_def,
and their use of the empty_discrim_opt rule.
I haven't found a simple way of rewriting the rules to
avoid the empty_discrim_opt rule...
Perhaps someone has advice for me ?

Thanks,

 Oliver