[antlr-interest] Syntatic predicates...

Mark Lentczner markl at glyphic.com
Tue May 18 08:23:47 PDT 2004

> Actually, this is a problem with the language as it is ambiguous.
Well, where "ambiguous" here means considering only finite k
lookahead...
> I cite C++ expr vs decl which can only be solved with arbitrary
> lookahead,
So, yes, it isn't "ambiguous" in the larger sense (sequence of tokens
in C++ can only mean one thing.)

I was confused as to which class of ambiguous problems Tom was facing.

>> 	if c1 then if c2 then s1 else s2
> I don't think this is a lookahead problem at all, but a language
> ambiguity.
Ya know, when I wrote that I thought "someone's gonna nail me on this",
but I didn't want to write a larger example.  Okay, so yes, this is an
example of linguistic ambiguity, but not one that is solved with
syntactic predicates.

	- Mark