[antlr-interest] Software Transformation Systems Workshop

Monty Zukowski monty at codetransform.com
Wed May 26 23:28:06 PDT 2004

On May 26, 2004, at 4:53 PM, Anakreon wrote:

>> Did you consider other toolkits besides ANTLR?
> I concidered JavaCC, but when the project started it
> was closed sources.
Yes, that is often a concern.

> Also concidered JFlex as the lexer
> producer, but then I would need an other tool for the
> Parser generator. In order to avoid having many tools
> and achieve simplicity (as much as possible) I chose
> ANTLR for the lexer generator as well. ANTLR, after i
> learned the tool, was very good for the job. I needed
> a Lexer generator, a Parser generator and a TreeParser
> generator and ANTLR provides them all.
Yeah, hard enough to learn one tool really well.

> A significant
> factor to the progress of the project was the help I
> received from the mailing list, either by looking at
I often forget that not every tool is open source and has a great
support community.  Good points!

> Also, I
> used for the project the Java lexer+parser distributed
> with ANTLR as a start for the JavaScript equivalents.
Everybody wants to start with something ready made.  I just did for a
SQL parser contract a month ago.  Open source rocks.

Monty Zukowski

ANTLR & Java Consultant -- http://www.codetransform.com
ANSI C/GCC transformation toolkit --
http://www.codetransform.com/gcc.html