[antlr-interest] ANTLR for a compiler

Bryan Ewbank ewbank at synopsys.com
Thu Nov 4 12:08:24 PST 2004

I've been working on building a compiler - not a translator, but a
code-generating compiler - in ANTLR, and I'm getting frustrated.  I am
seriously thinking of abandoning ANTLR in favor of Bison simply because of
the complexity of writing a tree parser (versus a typical visitor-pattern
with preorder/postorder traversal).

I'm currently working on building the symbol table from walking the AST, and
it seems to keep degenerating into a series of "( . )*" productions to cover
that which isn't of interest -- for example, all the expression operators
are not really interesting, so I simply want to pass over them unchanged.

So, can anyone that is using ANTLR for compilation give me guidance,
reassurance, or a shoulder to cry one?  Will there be a profound "aha"
moment after which I will be an ANTLR tree-parser king, or do my files
degenerate into line noise?

Any experienced voice will be appreciated.

Frustratedly,
-- Bryan Ewbank