[antlr-interest] Re: "protected" lexer rules

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Thu Nov 11 08:40:45 PST 2004

[...]
> Alright, point taken. I have checked with the Meriam-Webster Online
> dictionary and it is rather ambiguous on "sub-"
> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=sub

> But as Terence wrote in another post he would go for "fragment" in
> ANTLR3, don't you think that "fragment" has, based on your objection that
> "subtoken" might mean a part of a rule, the same problem?

Yes, as you and Loring have mentioned, there are various connotations of
the word "fragment" that aren't helpful.  That's why "shorthand" is still,
IMHO, the best word.

However, fragment is different enough from the usual lingo and clear enough
for this particular usage that using it for this case doesn't seem to cause
any significant confusion.

Take care,
	John