[antlr-interest] summary of trip to Montreal/SableCC land

Tom Verbeure hombre at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 14:58:56 PST 2004

> >  But I don't remember such situation in real life.
> > In any case, context information can be passed through fields of
> > visitor.
> > It solves the problem.
>
> Almost.  You need a stack of them.  Imagine that you need a reference
> to the declarations for each {...} block.  Now if you set an instance
> variable, what happens when you nest {..}?  Clearly you need a stack.
> Why do this by hand?  Believe me, in my experience, you need context
> and generally you need it to nest.

This is a very interesting discussion. Forgive me for interrupting
with what may be a beginners question. :-)
I understand that a stack is sometimes needed to retrieve information
from nested context. What's not clear to me is how Antlr in particular
makes it easier to access or manage this stack.
Is this something that is currently already available in antlr 2.x? Or
is this something new that will be added in 3.x? If it's the latter,
then I'll just eagerly wait its release, if it's the latter, could you
point me to an example that implements this?

Thanks,
Tom