[antlr-interest] java 1.4 as min value? -

hanasaki hanasaki at hanaden.com
Wed Nov 17 06:58:35 PST 2004

How do people feel about ANTLR 3.0 requiring 1.4 JDK or above?  I want
two things so far:

LinkedHashMap

and

memory mapped I/O

Thoughts?  Perhaps those using 1.3 are doing so for legacy reasons and
therefore are having to use 2.x version of ANTLR anyway.

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
===

As a general rule, I recommend to my clients that they should move to a
version no later than one year after it goes to final release.  Having
said this, I know of several projects that currently locked into 1.3.x
and a few at 1.2.x for "interesting" business reasons.

My vote: use 1.4! NIO and memory mapping may do wonders for speed!
as for 1.5 aka 5.0?... maybe fall 2005 if there is any specific feature
that will add major value to antlr that is.  Supporting production
products on a two version old jdk sounds like an exception that costs
for support.