[antlr-interest] Re: Translators Should Use Tree Grammars

Oliver Zeigermann oliver.zeigermann at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 09:34:13 PST 2004

I understand most of your stuff and especially the one about Magic.
What I do not quite understand that - as it seems - for the parser you
accept grammars are a concise language to describe the language to
parse and seem to prefer it over pure Java. Why not for certain tree
transformations? I understand in tree transformations the emphasis is
not on revealing structure (analysis), but rahter on what to do with
certain patterns (synthesis).Do you thing this the important
difference?

Oliver