[antlr-interest] ITLS (was: Translators Should Use Tree Grammars)

Anthony Youngman Anthony.Youngman at ECA-International.com
Tue Nov 23 02:24:36 PST 2004

And to add my tuppence-worth, speaking as an *engineer* (actually,
scientist by training), the computer mathematicians are making exactly
the same mistake as the hardware people, namely a belief in abstraction

Okay, I'm more into database theory, but you're talking about logic,
symbolism and abstraction - all branches of PURE mathematics. Where is
the *scientific* evidence that all this maths is *relevant* to problem
in hand (stuff like experiment, statistics, etc etc).

My favourite example that I always quote is Newtonian Mechanics. Viewed
as an exercise in Maths, it's perfect. Can anybody point out any
*mathematical* flaws in its arguments? Yet viewed as an exercise in
*science*, it's irrelevant in many cases because it just doesn't
describe the world as it is.

Sorry if I'm drifting way off topic, but I really get wound up when
people seek to justify their world view through mathematics. There's a
very big gulf between *correct* maths and *relevant* maths, and too many
people seem to think that just because it's the former, it has to be the
latter too. (Look at modern physics - we have many "correct" theories,
we're just trying to work out which ones are "relevant".)

Cheers,
Wol